Garden Whimsies by Mary -               Every Garden Deserves a Touch of Whimsy
RSS Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

There's a Jungle In My Garden
Do You Love Painted Furniture?
5000 Fan Giveaway
Playhouses For Big Girls
Potting Bench Essentials

Categories

Events
Gift ideas
Ideas For Your Garden
What's New?
powered by

Doesn't Your Garden Deserve a Touch of Whimsy?

Spring Cleaning Gardening Style

It has been a very busy past two weeks friends.  I'm finding it a bit challenging to schedule everything I want (or need) to get done since starting my new PT job.   Finding "creative" time is a must since I only recently discovered I actually have a creative bone in my body.   For many, many years I'd convinced myself I wasn't standing in the right line when God was passing out the creativity gene.  Then low and behold, once the kids were grown  and on their own, and I'd gotten out of the corporate rat race I had time for me!!!  Who would have thought?

Last weekend was spent doing some much needed clean up in the garden.  I am so blessed to live in Florida because we can garden year round.  I weeded, pruned, trimmed, transplanted, planted seeds and potted some new plants.  A few more weekends of this and my garden should be worthy of visitors.  I'll share some pics from last spring's garden to give you an idea of what it will look like again when all the spring cleaning work is done.  As you can probably tell, my gardening style leans more to cottage gardens.

Some of my favorites for spring are old-timers like  Hollyhock, Cosmos,  and Foxglove.  I picked up a few of these this weekend from my favorite local nursery.  Now all I need is to find time to install them.

For those of you still waiting for the arrival of spring in your area, I hope this brings you a little inspiration while you wait.  I'd love to know what your favorite plants or flowers are and what you have planned for your gardens this year.

Happy gardening friends!

"Whenever you can't think of something to be grateful for,
remember your breath.  With each breath you take,
 you can say, 'I am still here.'"  ---Oprah

9 Comments to Spring Cleaning Gardening Style:

Comments RSS
Beth Robidoux on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 8:23 PM
You are making long for warm weather! I can't wait to get out in the garden. I did see crocus sprouting. I love your Garden Whimsies!
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Tuesday, March 08, 2011 8:39 PM
So glad you like my garden whimsies Beth. I like to think they will put a smile on your face when you have one in your garden. At least they do for me. Enjoy the coming of spring. If the crocus are sprouting it shouldn't be too much longer. Happy gardening to you!

Debbie P. on Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:46 AM
Your garden/yard is so freakin' cute!! I just adore it!!! I could sit and stare at it all day long; Love, love the plate edging! Thanks for spring thoughts!! It's been raining here all week! very yucky out right now but I'm very hopeful!
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:27 PM
Hi Debbie, Thanks for the comment. It made my day!!! I "borrowed" the plate edging idea from a beach cottage down on Ana Maria Island. It's a fun way to edge as it gives you instant color. I plan to expand the plates to a few more beds this year. We just had some much needed rain today so I know my plants will be very happy. I love to repurpose all types of items for use in my gardens as you can probably tell from the photos. I think gardens should be full of whimsy!!!

Vicky Wilson on Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:40 AM
Mary, Your yard is sooo cute. I can't wait for spring to arrive here, we still have piles of unmelted snow. Your pictures at least give us something to look forward to.
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Friday, April 01, 2011 2:26 PM
Hi Vicky, Sorry for the delay in responding. It's been a crazy couple weeks getting ready for spring shows. What part of the country are you from? Hope spring arrives for you soon. I'd be going crazy if I couldn't get outside to play in the dirt!!! Happy gardening to you.

Stacey Merrill on Friday, April 01, 2011 2:06 PM
really lovely! I was visiting the Tampa Garden Club website & found your link. I too live in Tampa & am on the FEST team. Are you vendiong at this weekend's TGC Gardenfest? If so, I hope we can meet :D By the way, if you would ever like to be featured on my blog just drop me a note.
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Friday, April 01, 2011 2:27 PM
Hi Stacey, Thanks for the nice words. I will be vending at the TGC Plant Fest tomorrow. Hope you can make it there - would love to meet you! Happy gardening, Mary

geri on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:46 AM