Garden Whimsies by Mary -               Every Garden Deserves a Touch of Whimsy
RSS Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

There's a Jungle In My Garden
Do You Love Painted Furniture?
5000 Fan Giveaway
Playhouses For Big Girls
Potting Bench Essentials

Categories

Events
Gift ideas
Ideas For Your Garden
What's New?
powered by

Doesn't Your Garden Deserve a Touch of Whimsy?

There's a Jungle In My Garden

Gardening in Florida in the middle of summer is a real challenge.  With daytime temps in the 90's and heat index at 100+ most days, who wants to go outside and "play" in the garden?  Even if you wait until the evening, between the mosquitoes and humidity you're fighting a losing battle.

Our daily summer rainy season is here and with that brings weeds on steroids~ they pop up over night and are already a foot tall!  "Volunteer" vines come to life and grow anywhere and everywhere. Even my lovely wedelia ground cover has gone crazy and shot up a couple feet since Spring.
I don't know what other Florida gardeners do, but this gardener chooses NOT to garden during the month of August.  I'll admit it ~ I'm a wimp when it comes to the heat.  I don't mind getting sweaty and dirty, I just don't want to pass out in the heat!

My back yard is so overgrown I think there may be wild animals hiding out in the jungle like vegetation.  Try as I might to avoid looking at the problem, there are times when I actually have to outside and I just want to cringe. I'd be sooo embarrassed if someone were to come to see my garden now.  Any other time of the year you're more than welcome to visit ~ just not the summer.  I did take my pruners outside this weekend for a couple quick five minute trips to get some of the wild growth in the front beds under control.  The least I can do is try to keep the front beds somewhat controlled since those are the ones visible to the passing public.

Since I love to share my garden with fellow garden lovers, here are a few pics of my garden BEFORE the jungle took over. It takes all my will power not to grab the pruners and hit the back yard right now.

Hope you've enjoyed your little stroll through my garden. I am so happy that you stopped by.  I love hearing from you and enjoy reading your comments, e-mails and those who follow my Facebook and blog.

Have a blessed week friends. Hugs ~ Mary

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is Good.
 His love endures forever."
Psalm 136:1

10 Comments to There's a Jungle In My Garden:

Comments RSS
Mary on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 5:55 PM
I love you pics of your garden and I love your Whimsies!!! Did you make the mosaic stepping stones in your garden pics??? I love them.
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Tuesday, August 07, 2012 6:28 PM
Hi Mary, Thanks for the sweet comments on my garden. I did make a couple of the mosaic stepping stones in the path, but the two seen in the foreground were made by someone else. This person made the most beautiful stones and I collected one each year at garden shows. Then he stopped coming to the shows so I tried to make a couple myself. Mine aren't as good, but I'm still working to perfect my technique. Gathering the pieces now to create the next one. So appreciat you following my blog and hope you'll come back to visit again. Hugs ~ Mary
Reply to comment

Melissa on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 7:58 AM
You have a beautiful garden, Mary. Hopefully one day mine will be so lovely. Gardening is new to me, and definitely not as easy as one might think. I get a little better each year.
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:38 AM
Thanks Melissa! When I started out gardening years ago, I didn't really know much about gardening either. Turns out, you really don't need to have a green thumb to start out. There's lots of great info available at your local nurseries, the web and garden clubs. Just jump in with both feet and have fun!!! It's trial and error ~ so if something doesn't work out, just try something else. It's the best therapy I know!! Thanks so much for stopping by to visit. Do come back again.

HCCF banquet on Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:36 AM
Reply to comment

visit on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:03 PM
Reply to comment

irene on Monday, December 02, 2013 12:33 PM
love your garden whimsies.
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Friday, January 31, 2014 11:53 AM
Hi Irene, Thank you so much for your comment. So glad you're enjoying my garden whimsies. Best, Mary

Linda on Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:21 AM
I love your pictures. You do such a good job with all your whimsies.
Reply to comment

Mary Mirabal on Friday, January 31, 2014 11:54 AM
Hi Linda, Thank you for following my blog. So glad you're enjoying my garden whimsies. Don't forget to follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/gardenwhimsiesbymary